Strength exercises become more important as you age for a myriad of reasons. It is never too late to start, so get busy lifting now!
Reasons to Play with some Weights and that includes your Own body Weight.
- Improved muscle tone and strength will protect you against injury.
- Maintaining flexibility and improving your balance will hold you in good stead as you age.
- As you gain muscle mass and lose fat, your metabolism will fire up and you will continue to burn calories long after your workout.
- Can help to prevent cognitive decline.
- Increased stamina so that you will not tire as easily.
- Controls, prevents and assists with chronic diseases such as diabetes, heart disease and arthritis.
- Improves your posture which can help to alleviate back pain.
- Exercise is the best and cheapest anti-depressant that you can get. Improves your self- esteem, body image and increases feelings of goodwill.
- Increased bone density and strength thereby staving off osteoporosis
- Can induce better sleep patterns.
- Everyday tasks will become easier.
Do you need any more reasons than that?
Examples of Resistance training.
- Free weights such a dumbbells, barbells, medicine balls and kettle bells.
- Using resistance bands.
- TRX Training.
- Own body weight exercises (My Favourite).
- Weight Machines (My least favourite – tell you why another time).
All training should be functional. This means that it should emulate everyday movements. In other words, push, pull, lift, twist, reach, bend, balance and stretch.
To gain the full benefit of this type of exercise you should endeavour to train at least twice a week but three times would be better. Complimented with cardio work such as cycling, running and swimming you will have a well-rounded fitness programme.
Start with some dynamic stretches and end with static stretches.
Keep your Programmes Interesting by Varying your Reps and Sets.
- Super sets
- One max rep
- Heavy weight low reps
- Light weight high reps
- Pyramid sets
- Tri sets and giant sets
A lot of women are resistant (pun intended) to working with weights as they feel that they are going to bulk up and become muscular. Unless you are on steroids this is not the case at all. Catch me next week and I will explain why.
It is vital as women, that we challenge our muscular skeletal system as we age. If you don’t use it you will lose it!
A lot of the above may sound like gibberish to you. Not to worry. Subscribe by email to follow me and all will be revealed over the next few weeks.
In the meantime – Happy Lifting!
This week look out for –
Recipe Corner – Sweet potato muffins. Flour, refined sugar and dairy free and simply delicious.
My Cultured Kitchen – Every Fermenters Nightmare. Things that go POP in the night.